I am tired.
More tired than I've been in a long time, maybe ever.
I am sick, so that doesn't help. We've essentially put in 11 hours at work, and many more at home, every day doing the things required of us. We've had a crash course in teaching; everything from classroom management to investment to diversity and cultural awareness. It has been an incredible experience so far, and I am so glad to be embarking on this.
It's a roller-coaster. This is something I'm very excited about, something that gets me fired up. I can't wait to get in the classroom and teach the kids I've been observing this week. I can't wait to implement the things I've learned about how to run my classroom, as well as the ideas I have for how to get my kids invested in their education.
It's also something I continue to be very angry about. Our students in Atlanta, in New Orleans, and around the country have endured a horrible disservice. Too many students are not receiving a quality education. Too many students are left behind. Too many students are being set up for failure. Many students don't even realize that they're behind. I remember the article in the Times Pic a number of years back about the valedictorian of her high school class who was unable to pass the GRE 3 times. That is an example of a young woman who did everything right, and it wasn't enough: it wasn't her fault; it was the system's fault. She was set up for failure by a failing school system.
The answer isn't a single system or policy, or funding or accountability (though those things help). Closing the achievement gap starts with dedicated, effective teachers.
I am very excited about starting. I am going to post a blog probably on Sunday, in which I will clear my head. I have a lot I want to get to, but I'm very tired and going to bed. I got a BUNCH of medicine, so hopefully I will begin to feel better tomorrow!
Friday, June 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Q--
ReplyDeleteI just wanted to let you know I'm reading and I'm so excited for you and your teaching experience! I'm trying to get a job currently so I guess I'm also kinda living vicariously through you, haha. Anyway, best of luck, you're going to be an amazing teacher!
Hannah (Johnson) Walker