Sunday, August 15, 2010

What a life

I can't imagine being a teacher for the rest of my life. After two days of teaching, I can already tell this is going to be hard. Fun, yes. Rewarding, yes. Tiring, oh yes.

My first two days went well. Better than I probably expected - and I expected it to be pretty good. My first weekend was mildly productive. I'm hoping that my planning periods clear up a bit as some of the housekeeping stuff gets out of the way, so I can use that time productively. My kids are great- I really think we can make some large steps forward. 5th graders are at a good age; they're very eager to please, for the most part. I still have a lot to do on my end to really create the space I want to create, and to create the sense of urgency I want to create.

Today I had some real misgivings- I had some doubts about my corps commitment. I began wondering, why am I here, really? What is the purpose of me being here for two years? I know that God has me here and he put me here for his purpose. I know that I have great opportunities with these kids. I guess I was just feeling a bit alone. I felt like I was bearing a lot of weight, a lot of responsibility. I am capable of this, but it is just a lot- I was thinking maybe my talents could be better utilized elsewhere.

I guess that you can feel like that even in the best of circumstances. I am glad to be where I'm at, but my heart seems to wander. This morning in church I was again seized by a longing for the Word of God. THAT is what I want to teach, really more than math or social studies, to be honest. It was a great tug. It unsettled me, and made me start questioning my TFA commitment.

Ultimately, though, I am committed. The people of Israel must have often been seized by a longing in their hearts for ANYWHERE but the desert- even Egypt. But God was preparing them. Joseph longed for freedom from slavery, but God was using that station in his life to bring him to a newer, greater place.

I don't plan on being pharoah's second in command, or leading anyone to the promised land, but I know that the Lord knows more than me. I know that right now he has me where I am to teach me, mold me, and probably humble, humble, humble me. When I come out of this on the other side, I will be better for him. I know that. And like I said, the right now is so crucial for these children, even if I lose sight of it for myself. I need to protect their right now even though I am feeling careless with my own. They didn't ask for me to be their teacher, but we were brought together. I need to respect that and live like it means something to be together.

1 comment:

  1. Mr.M - When I read your words " seized by a longing for the Word of God. THAT is what I want to teach, really more than math or social studies, to be honest," I understand COMPLETELY. But I hope that you know your every action of teaching is that of the WORD of God. These children will learn how the word is through your actions. If fact, the only time they may even feel the closeness of God is time spent with you.

    So remember "Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men; knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance. It is the Lord Christ whom you serve." (Colossians 3:23-24)

    But who am I to tell you what you already know??

    Blessings!!

    ReplyDelete