Friday, April 9, 2010

First Take

Well, I figured it would be pretty funny if I started a blog for all of my teaching exploits. In this you will find anecdotes, advice, struggles, joys, etc. It is going to be a strange, crazy two years with Teach For America.

I could not be more excited about the opportunity in front of me. Teaching is going to be hard work, of that I have no doubt. I will probably feel like leaving it behind at some points. I will probably wonder if I am doing a good job.

But it will be worth it when my kids are achieving so much more than they thought possible.

The job search is currently underway- Karr canceled my interview, to be rescheduled for a later date. Fruitless so far. I was able to observe two classrooms this Wednesday, math classes at Higgins and at New Orleans Charter Science and Math School. Two different, wonderful experiences for me. I can already feel the building anticipation. Next year, I will have my very own classes. I will be teaching scholars with the opportunity to make huge strides.

Would you trust your kids with Mr. Manuel? I never would have guessed I would find myself as a high school teacher, but this life takes you strange places sometimes. I wish I had been better behaved in high school. Maybe I should send an apology to our old journalism teacher. We were awful.

Anyways, hopefully I'll remember to write on this thing regularly. Not much exciting will happen for a month or two, but soon enough I will have real life stories from real life classrooms with real life students.

All names will be changed to protect the students. I'll also protect my co-workers.

No comments:

Post a Comment